Fornite’s 5.10 update is now live and developer Epic Games has released patch notes detailing all the additions and changes coming to the game’s Battle Royale and Save the World modes. The main attraction in the new Fortnite update is the birthday celebration event, during which players will be able to find birthday cakes around the island and earn special cosmetics by completing challenges and quests. You can check out our Fortnite 1st Birthday challenge guide for more on that.
Beyond that, the patch also preps the game for the return of Playground LTM, which will be playable again from July 25. This time, however, it will include team select options and the ability to drive ATK vehicle. Epic has also promised there will be “lots more loot,” though it didn’t provide any specific examples.
Fortnite update V5.10 also adds the Compact SMG to the Battle Royale mode. “Unwrap the newest weapon in Battle Royale. Engage in close quarters combat with the high capacity, fast firing Compact SMG,” the description reads. As you might expect from an SMG, the gun is incredibly useful for catching enemy players off guard and dishing out deadly damage up close.
In Save the World, meanwhile, players can now head to the desert of Canny Valley, where they’ll be able to explore Thunder Route 99. “Immerse yourself in the story, uncover its secrets, and explore the new Arid Biome with your friends,” Epic says. Take a look at the full Fortnite: Battle Royale update 5.10 patch notes below, courtesy of Epic Games.
Fortnite Update 5.10 Patch Notes
- We’ve got a birthday party planned for #Fortnite1st and you’re invited! Eat cake, party and bring your friends. Each Birthday Challenge you complete unlocks a slice of the birthday cosmetic set.
Playground LTM (Battle Royale)
- Playground mode is back on Wednesday, July 25! New team select options let you and your squad set up team battles for practice and training. Race! Create, and share your screenshots and cinematics on social.
Compact SMG (Battle Royale)
- Unwrap the newest weapon in Battle Royale. Engage in close quarters combat with the high capacity, fast firing Compact SMG.
Canny Valley (Save the World)
- Adventure into the desert of Canny Valley and explore Thunder Route 99… Immerse yourself in the story, uncover its secrets, and explore the new Arid Biome with your friends.
Save the World Celebration
- Celebrate #Fortnite1st with cake, loot, and a special in-game questline. Complete the questline to unlock Birthday Brigade Ramirez. While you’re partying, find and eat birthday cakes to earn event tickets which can be spent on the limited time Birthday Llama.
- New default keybindings for new players.
- All keyboard layouts will continue to default to the QWERTY bindings for new players or those who reset their back to default.
- Changed countdown timers to display more useful information
- Shows hours left instead of days when under 72 hours.
- Shows hours:minutes:seconds left when below 13 hours.
- Changed the background of the loading screen bullet points area to be partially translucent.
- Removed the “static noise” when switching tabs.
- The “Restore” button has been removed from the settings screen. Also, the “Reset Defaults” button has been renamed to “Reset.”
- Leaving the settings screen before applying changes will give the option to apply changes and exit or discard changes and exit.
- Double clicks now register as two clicks on a button, allowing for faster navigation through Next/Previous type buttons
- Items on the ground will properly have their stack counts updated if the stack size changes while the player is currently looking at them.
- Fixed a frame delay on some text layouts, which would cause large blocks of text to reflow their wrapping one frame after seeing them.
- Corrected text shadows that were appearing incorrectly in certain areas of the UI.
- You can now find birthday cakes placed around the map with consumable slices next to them. Enjoy those tasty treats!
- Cake slices give +5 health and +5 shield instantly when consumed.
- Complete three birthday even challenges to unlock a new emote, spray, and Backbling.
- The Battlebus and Supply Drops have been decorated to celebrate #Fortnite1st.
Limited Time Mode: Playground
- Players can now switch teams in-game. Join the same team to work together creatively, join separate teams to practice fighting each other!
- Note: Voice chat will remain on across all teams, future iterations of the mode will offer more customization.
- Aim assist will work when using a gamepad against players on an opposing team.
- Matches will no longer end if one player leaves the server.
- Golf carts have been added and spawn 100% of the time.
- Ammo cans spawn 10x the amount of ammo.
- Removed grey vending machines, increased the chances of higher-tier machines spawning.
- Increased launch & bounce pads spawn likelihood.
- Lowered forced glider deploy height, so players can get back into the action more quickly.
- Increased max rocket ammo cap to 60.
- Increased rocket ammo drop rates.
- Added 100 Supply Drops.
- Chests now spawn 3 weapons and more ammo & consumables than normal.
- Floor loot now spawns 3 items.
- Increased Chug Jug and Slurp Juice spawn chances, decreased Bandages.
- Added Chug Jugs to floor loot.
- Respawn timer lowered from 10s to 3s.
Weapons and Items
- Compact SMG added.
- Available in Epic and Legendary variants.
- 23-24 base damage.
- Uses Light Ammo.
- 50 round capacity.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines.
- Available in Epic and Legendary variants.
- Slurp Juice now grants 1 health every 0.5 seconds, up to a total of 75. If health is full, shield will be granted instead.
- Supply Drop loot rates adjusted.
- Weapons (drops 1)
- Assault Rifles to 25% from 14.2%.
- Explosives to 25% from 28.5%.
- Compact SMG 14.58%.
- Sniper Rifles to 14.58% from 28.5%.
- Heavy Shotgun to 10.42% from 7.1%.
- Minigun to 10.42% from 14.2%.
- Removed Hand Cannon, Dual Pistols, and Silenced Pistol.
- Traps (drops 2)
- Launch Pad to 44.44% from 9.6%.
- Cozy Campfire to 33.33% from 7.5%.
- Bouncer to 22.22% from 15%.
- Removed Damage Traps.
- Consumables (drops 2)
- Shield Potion to 20% from 19.1%
- Small Shield Potion to 17.50% from 12.7%
- Med Kit to 13.75% from 6.3%
- Slurp Juice to 11.25% from 5.11%
- Clinger to 10% from 6.3%
- Remote Explosives to 10% from 3.3%
- Impulse Grenade to 10% from 4%
- Chug Jug to 7.5% from 2.1%
- Removed Boogie Bombs, Grenades, Bandages, Stink Bombs, Port-a-Forts, and Bush.
- Materials (drops 2)
- Wood to 33% from 47.6%.
- Stone to 33% from 35.7%.
- Metal to 33% from 16.6%.
- Weapons (drops 1)
- Changes to building materials.
- Wood wall starting health to 80 from 100.
- Stone wall starting health to 80 from 90.
- Wood wall max health to 150 from 200.
- Metal wall max health to 500 from 400.
- Metal build time to 25s from 20s.
- Storm Circle changes.
- Safezone 2 wait time to 120 from 150.
- Safezone 2 shrink time to 120 from 90.
- Safezone 4 wait time to 90 from 120.
- Safezone 6 wait time to 60 from 90.
- Safezone 7 wait time to 45 from 60.
- Safezone 8 wait time to 30 from 60.
- Safezone 9 wait time to 30 from 45.
- Added moving circle to Safezone 6.
- Added “Sprint By Default” option, when enabled this makes sprint the default movement. The sprint key will now be used to transition into walking.
- Newly-placed building pieces will now appear in a different color while players are still overlapping the structure.
- Improved handling of collision when building pieces are placed right on top of a player. It’s much more likely for players to be moved outside of newly-placed structures.
- Pickaxe damage against enemy and ally player built structures increased to 75 base damage and 150 critical damage.
- The slow motion and confetti effects for a Victory Royale will now play for the winner regardless of how they win the game.
- Changing the gyro motion of the Nintendo Switch to rotate around the roll instead of the yaw.
- This is intended to allow for the users to be able to hold the device in any situation and always have the motion react according to the screen direction instead of being in the Switch’s world space.
- Fixed an issue causing bullets and projectiles to be blocked by invisible collision.
- This was being caused by player placed map markers
- Autorun can now be used while in vehicles. Fixed a logic issue in the autorun canceling code.
- This should also fix autorun canceling when releasing the stick while using a gamepad.
- Changed the button layout for Old School and Quick Builder configs so that the “change seat” action button is not the same as the “powerslide” button.
- Sniper rifle bullets no longer incorrectly stop when passing through certain trigger volumes.
- Eliminating players will now properly grant challenge progress.
- If the same player knocks out and eliminates an enemy with two different weapons, they will get elimination quest progress for both weapons.
- Players will no longer get stuck in the coasting state if they change seats while in a vehicle.
- Pickaxes will no longer stretch and appear incorrectly if the slow-motion effect plays while players are riding in a vehicle.
- Fixed an issue where a player would not have a weapon out if hitting a bounce pad into a jump pad under certain network conditions.
- Players will no longer hold weapons while emoting if they’re riding in an All Terrain Kart.
- Players will no longer fall through floor or pushed through walls when placing or editing structures.
- Remote Explosives will now only show damage numbers when damage is done to players.
- Vehicles can no longer be flipped while standing on top of them.
- This fixes the issue where players would sometimes become stuck or teleported if standing on a vehicle that flipped.
- Crouching is no longer allowed while emoting.
- The Wave emote, emoticons, and sprays will now continue to play even if you’re moving.
- Various server performance improvements focused on the 50v50 LTM.
- Server performance improvements were made to the custom matches used during competitive events.
- Significant All Terrain Kart (ATK) performance improvements.
- Added spatialization to the sound played when a marker is placed on the map. Now you will hear it coming from where the in-world marker was placed.
- All Terrain Kart (ATK) audio improvements
- Improved All Terrain Kart (ATK) audio attenuation fall-off.
- Added a unique sound when the All Terrain Kart (ATK) is destroyed.
- Added sounds for when the All Terrain Kart (ATK) is in water.
- Improvements have been made to grenade bounce audio so they don’t sound as spammy under certain conditions.
- Lowered the volume of the AC/DC pickaxe.
- Added a unique sound for bouncing off a diving board.
- Added a unique sound for destroying cacti.
- Audio panning logic for Switch has been changed. Sources panning from one side to another will be more dramatic.
- Conquest glider’s open and close sounds no longer stack when spamming the action.
- Twist emote music no longer overlaps with other emote music.
- Re-added metal impact sounds when shooting or pickaxing Shopping Carts.
- Weapon fire audio no longer cuts out when low on ammo for some weapons.
- Adjusted lobby nameplate arrangement to better account for long player names.
- Added the ability to combine stackable items in player inventory if the stack sizes aren’t already capped.
- The Game Mode Select screen now sorts in the following order from left to right:
- Solo, Duo, Squads
- Fixed an issue preventing players to select nothing as an Outfit and Backbling.
- Removed the ‘Save and Exit’ option for items without variants.
- Double tap the accept hotkey/button to confirm your selection.
- Fixed an issue in the locker where the shuffle icon for randomized outfits was drawn slightly differently to other shuffle icons.
- Removed an error message when trying to purchase the Battle Bundle while at tier 76 or above.
- The correct actions are now shown on the HUD when you get into a Shopping Cart for the first time after being in an All Terrain Kart (ATK).
Art and Animation
- Prevented sprays from affecting the eyes of the Rainbow Smash pickaxe.
- The Toilet Paper contrail animations now appear correctly.
- Changed the icon when a player has been downed to an exclamation mark.
- Battle Bus positioning now appears correctly in replays.
- Fixed an issue with focus distance when changing cameras in replays.
- Fixed issues with drone cameras when viewing players in vehicles during replays.
- Fixed an issue where the camera controls would not display when toggling the HUD visibility.
- Downloading patches will now continue when you switch to a different app. When the download has completed, you’ll receive a notification.
- Fire mode selection now has preview videos to better illustrate the functionality.
- Added new placeable individual quick bar buttons to the HUD layout tool. Can be set to either locked Combat, locked Build, or Automatic mode to switch based on the player’s currently selected mode.
- Tapping a currently selected build item from the quick bar will now build the item.
- Fixed texture streaming issues with the battle bus.
- Audible pops will no longer occur on iOS during loading screens and gameplay.
To read the full patch notes for the Save the World mode, check out Epic’s full update post.
July 24 is the first anniversary of Fortnite’s release. We’ll have coverage and even a guide of the the upcoming set of special quests that’ll let you unlock birthday-themed cosmetics and an XP bonus. There will be three different quests to complete, each of which delivers a different reward to successful players. Anyone that completes all three of the quests before the event ends on August 7 will get a Birthday Cake Back Bling.